Rocket Mortgage Classic 2022 Overview
For the 3rd year running, players head to Detroit Golf Club for the Rocket Mortgage Classic. Last year this was the venue for the incredible 1 -2, with Cam Davis winning at 150/1 and Troy Merrit runner up at 125/1. It’s doubtful the feat will be repeated this year, but I will give it a shot. Low Scoring venues like this can often throw up winners at huge prices, given the event is very much a putting contest.
The course this week is a Par 72 test at 7,370 yards and a standard layout of 4 par-3s, 10-par-4s and 4 par-5s. Designed by the great Donald Ross, the course rewards real good iron play. Albeit long on paper, the course plays much shorter. The course’s par-5s measure 635 yards, 552 yards, 555 yards, and 577 yards, respectively, meaning three of them can be reached in 2 by the world’s best. The top 10 come Sunday will dominate the par 5 holes.
The par-4s will give up plenty of birdies, the first, fourth, eighth, and thirteenth are all less than 400 yards, so these holes are there for the taking. Short Par 4’s and a long Par 5 of over 600 yards means there will be plenty of wedge play on show this week. Detroit’s fairway lays are uneven, and the green complexes include numerous front-to-back contoured with significant undulations, in keeping with Donald Ross design classics. However, the course poses very few fears to the world’s best, and all the players are thinking is ‘how low can we go’.
Overall, the course plays short for the world’s best players with a high amount of wedge shots over the four days, more than a standard PGA Tour event. Expect to see plenty of birdies, eagles and putts holed from everywhere.
Let’s break down those key skill sets required to lift the trophy aloft on Sunday evening.
Key Skill Sets Required
- SG T2G – In these low scoring events, players must gain strokes over their competitors in general T2G play. When starting my research, I want player onside who are dialed in T2G over the past 24/36 rounds showing the core parts of their game is firing on all cylinders.
- Proximity 75-100 Yards – TPC courses, in general, are friendly off the tee for the world’s best players. This sets up plenty of shots from 75-100 yards especially this week as we have plenty of short par 4’s and a super long par 5 which will mean 75% of the player using a wedge for their 3rd shot. 40% of shots this week will be from less than 150 yards. Wedge play is key this week.
- Par 4 Scoring 350-400 yards – In low-scoring affairs, like we can expect this week, players have to dominate the Par 4 holes, especially the short par 4 that are 350-400 yards in length. We have 4 of those this week. Performance on these risk-reward holes will have a massive say on who lifts that trophy Sunday evening.
- Birdies or Better – We can expect a winning score lower than 20 under par this week. Players are required to make a birdie 1 in 3 holes this week. Without hitting 6/7 birdies a round, players have little chance of success come the back nine on Sunday.
- SG Putting – We have had 3 renewals of the Rocket Mortgage Classic at the Detroit Golf Club. Without a doubt & putting is the most important factor this week. Much like last week, if players don’t rank in the top 10 for SG Putting, it’s improbable they will be lifting the trophy on Sunday evening.